Life is a little different for the kids of today. No longer do kids come home drop their bags and run outside to play until dinner is ready. The majority of kids these days have busy schedules that are packed full of after school activities, school/ club sports, and other commitments. As long as your child is not stressed out and is enjoying a full schedule the activities can be great and prevent boredom. A busy schedule definitely beats the alternative of hours situated in front of the TV or computer, and with child hood obesity and Diabetes type II on the rise an active child is a good thing.
When looking for fun after school activities that promote learning, social interaction, and health for kids in the North Scottsdale area there are many options to choose from. The following is a list of 10 great options for your child to enjoy after school.
- Gymnastics. Gymnastics is great for boys and girls and recent studies show that children who do gymnastics score better in school. There are numerous gyms around the Scottsdale area such as: Scottsdale Gymnastics, Xtreme Gymnastics, and North Valley Gymnastics. Scottsdale Gymnastics even offers a class on Parkour (boys will love this)!
- Scottsdale Parks and Recreation. Scottsdale offers a plethora of extremely affordable classes/lessons such as swimming, diving, tennis, football, piano, art, dance, and many more- pick a couple and try it out.
- Scottsdale and Paradise Valley Unified School Districts offer an amazing array of activities (golf, karate, rock climbing) directly after school. Just go to your child’s school web-site and take a look at the school flyers tab for Scottsdale Schools and e-backpack for Paradise Valley Schools.
- AZ Airtime. Not looking to lock into a set schedule? Then, take your kids to AZ Airtime to bounce off some of their energy in the dodgeball arena, foam pit, or on the wall-to-wall trampolines. Invite some friends and make it a play date too.
- Hiking. When the weather cools off there is nothing better than an amazing hike through Gateway or up to Pinnacle Peak to enjoy the outdoors and see nature at its finest.
- Boys and Girls Club: They offer transportation to and from area schools and give students a chance to participate in numerous supervised activities including art, homework help, sports/fitness, and many others. So you can rest assured that your child is not only safe, but is having fun too!
- NYS. National Youth Sports offers team sports in basketball, football, lacrosse, volleyball, soccer, softball, and cheerleading in the Scottsdale area with practices at local schools.
- Parks. Take the kids to run or ride off some of that pent up energy at Aviano Community Park or Sonoran Hills Park. Each of these parks offers a great bike path and fun equipment for the kids to enjoy for hours and it’s FREE!
- Golf. Grayhawk Golf Course and TPC Scottsdale both offer impressive yet affordable junior golf camps and lessons, and with 360 days of sunshine a year these lessons will come in handy.
- Tennis. America’s Tennis Association and Fairmont Scottsdale Princess both offer great programs teaching children a sport they can play and enjoy for a lifetime.
Hopefully, this gave you direction and options to pursue for keeping your children active and involved during the school year in North Scottsdale.